When we select our recommended bags, we look for items that have some combination of the following:
- a stylish and modern look;
- great construction and materials; and
- functionality for your specific needs.
Often, cheaper bags lack some of the above qualities. However, we believe that these three stand above the rest and will serve you well, even for under $50!
The Vaschy Casual Genuine Leather and Canvas Messenger Bag
First on our list is this great bag from Vaschy, a great manufacturer of shoulder bags for the “everyday traveler.” This messenger bag features dual materials (canvas and genuine cowhide leather), quality construction, and that usefulness that we look for in our recommended bags.
- Four stylish colors (blue, camel, and two shades of grey)
- Dual-material construction (genuine cowhide leather and canvas)
- Fits a 14′ laptop in the main padded slot
- Leather handle and shoulder strap
- Multiple interior pockets
- One year warranty
- Plenty of space for your computer, tablet, and daily carry items
- Shoulder strap is padded and comfortable
- Lots of pockets to keep you organized
- Sturdy hooks, zippers, and closures
- Some users report difficulty fitting certain laptops
- Occasional issues with the magnetic snap, though the manufacturer will replace the bag if there is a problem
Overall, this is an awesome bag with a great look, which will serve you well. Though the occasional user has reported issues with pieces falling off, the manufacturer’s warranty covers this and they will replace the bag. Generally, though, this bag is a high quality choice that you won’t regret.
Brinch Unisex Oxford Fabric Laptop Sleeve Messenger Bag
This great bag from Brinch has a more modern look than the Vanchy bag above, comes in a ton of different colors, and is dripping with functionality. The styling is casual, so this is more appropriate for someone going to school, rather than a professional workplace.
If you’re looking for a great messenger under $50, you can’t go wrong with this one!
- High quality fabric exterior with padded interior to protect your important stuff
- Available in four sizes to accommodate laptops up to 17.3″
- Show your style with seven different colors, from grey and brown to pink and purple
- Choose whether you want to use the shoulder strap or the comfortable handle
- Water resistant and scratch resistant, to keep your bag going strong for a long time
- Weak velcro on the front enclosure
For those looking for a casual-style messenger bag for school or work, look no further than this. The fabric exterior comes in many colors and the bag itself comes in multiple sizes, so you can get the one that reflects your overall look and what you plan to carry in it. We think that Brinch has a winner on their hands here!
Baigio Vintage Nubuck Leather Cross-body Satchel Messenger Bag
Made of high quality leather, this professional-looking satchel-style bag from Baigio is a perfect choice for style on a budget. If you’re looking for a smaller bag that can hold a tablet and some other daily carry objects, you can’t go wrong with this sweet looking messenger bag.
- Comes in three shades of brown – classic, reddish-brown, and a “retro” brown color
- Multiple pockets to hold your stuff, from a cell phone pocket, main interior pocket for a tablet, and a back zipper pocket (to hide your wallet or other important things)
- Fits in with business or casual environments, also great for tourists and travelers
- Antique-style ornaments, magnetic buckle, and extra long zipper length for ease of use
- Some users report disappointment with the amount of stuff they can carry (which is natural, given its size), and the materials used on parts of the bag, like the pen holder
For those looking for a smaller bag for every day carry or don’t need to carry a whole laptop with them, this satchel from Baigio is a stylish choice. The classic leather styling of it complements every outfit and looks amazing. Keep your tablet safe, while you carry your wallet, keys, and cellphone – even an umbrella. This bag comes highly recommended.
These three great messenger bags under $50 are perfect if you’re looking for style that fits within your budget.
If I had to choose, I’d go with the Brinch messenger bag (reviewed second above), because I dig the minimalistic style and the wide variety of choices in color and size. At that price, you may want to buy two, for different occasions!
Looking for more bags under $50? Check out our other post on budget messenger bags here.
In the meantime, check out this great YouTube video for more advice about wearing a messenger bag: