Last Updated on
It’s the truth:
There are very few things in life as relaxing and pleasurable as working in your garden. There’s no better feeling than watching your plants grow and feeling the soil between your fingers.
Unfortunately, weeds can wreak havoc on your garden and ruin your pristine yard.
Weeds are plants that crop up, undesired, in your garden. They can smother other plants, stealing their water, nutrients, and sunlight.
In this post, I’ll show you the best products to comfortably rid yourself of those weeds. If you’re in a hurry, check out my top pick for the best backpack sprayer, the Tomahawk Power 2-Stroke, over on Amazon now!
Why you need a backpack sprayer
Not only are weeds pesky, but they are also notoriously difficult to get rid of. Often, simply pulling them isn’t enough since their roots can reach quite far underground.
That’s where a backpack sprayer comes in handy.
A backpack sprayer is essentially a container you wear like a backpack connected to a hose and nozzle. To kill weeds, all you have to do is fill the container and start spraying!
Backpack sprayers are handy because they can be used to treat one plant in particular or to spray a small area of your garden. They also allow you to spray in hard to reach places where you might not be able to bring a pull behind sprayer. It’s also more comfortable and efficient than carrying a sprayer around by hand (or a tiny spray bottle).
Now that we know what’s so great about a backpack sprayer, let’s take a look at my top picks.
I’ve divided our top picks into 3 categories: Best premium, best economic, and best budget.
Best Premium Backpack Sprayer: Tomahawk Power 2-Stroke
The Tomahawk Power 2-Stroke is a powerhouse of a backpack sprayer that packs a punch!
Operating as a 3-in-1 fogger, duster, and leaf blower, this backpack sprayer can do it all and then some. Even though the price point is higher than the other two sprayers on our list, you’ll get much more utility out of it with the extra features.
Showcasing a 3 HP 2-Stroke engine, the 3.7-gallon tank can spray an acre of land in less than 30 minutes and is reportedly 7x faster than a manual backpack sprayer.
The Tomahawk Power 2-Stroke features a horizontal reach of 40ft and a vertical reach of 20ft with its fogging capability making it easy to spray pesticides as well as to spray for mosquitos and ticks, another nifty highlight.
- The 2-Stroke 3 HP engine is powerful enough for large areas of land
- 3-in-1 fogger, duster, and leaf blower capability means you get several pieces of yard equipment in one handy machine
- 3.7-gallon tank holds enough pesticides to spray over an acre of land
- 7x faster than a manual backpack sprayer, saving you time and money
- The fogger can reach 40ft horizontally and 20ft vertically, covering a large amount of land
Want to know more? Check out more info about it over on Amazon!
Best Budget Backpack Sprayer: the Field King Professional
Topping off our last as the best budget Field King Professional is the Field King Professional. While the cheapest out of the backpack sprayers on our list, you get your money’s worth with the Field King Professional. It’s outfitted with high-quality Viton seals that will be able to handle most herbicides. The poly wand is 21 inches, which is more than suitable for most home applications. It’s easy to maintain as well–the easy access pump allows you to quickly swap out seals in just minutes!
The Field Kind Professional was made with safety in mind. It utilizes an internal no-leak design so you don’t have to worry about coming into contact with deadly herbicides. It’s shut off lock is made of brass for long-term use and durability and even comes with an in-line filter!
- Internal piston delivers up to 150 PSI for maximum strength
- No-leak pump design means you stay safe and sound
- 21-inch poly wand for hard to reach spaces
- High-quality Viton seals mean leaks are a thing of the past
- Compatible with most herbicides
- Brass shut-off lock delivers durability
- Easy access pump makes it easy to change seals
- Compatible with Tee Jet nozzles
- It comes with a brass adjustable nozzle, 2 flat fans, and a foaming nozzle
Best Economic Backpack Sprayer: the Field King Promax
Field King Promax makes it onto our list again as our top pick for best economic backpack sprayer with their Promax model. The Field King Promax is a battery-powered sprayer, meaning you don’t have to worry about hand pumping.
It’s a pretty solid all-around backpack sprayer.
You’ll get a full 4 hours of spray on a single charge or per 50 gallons of liquid, whichever comes first. The 18-volt lithium battery charges in 3.5 hours and features an interchangeable battery system if you need a new battery.
The spraying pressure is preset to 40 PSI and includes a triple filtration system to prevent clogging and to extend the life of the pump. The steel frame is powder coated for durability and resistance to harsh chemicals and even comes with a padded back harness!
- Battery operated so you don’t have to worry about pumping
- Built-in carry handle and wand storage makes it easy to transport
- 4 included nozzles: adjustable brass nozzle, low volume and high volume flat fans, and foaming nozzleViton seals and gaskets help prevents leaks
- Lockable shut-off helps prevent accidents
- Fully padded back harness and waist belt reduces fatigue
- You get 4 hours of spray on a single charge, so you don’t have to worry about running out of charge
- The 18-volt lithium battery charged in 3.5 hours
- An interchangeable battery system makes it easy to swap out batteries as needed
- Triple filtration system helps prevent clogs and extend the life of the pump
- Powder coated steel frame provides extra durability
What should you look for in a backpack sprayer?
When shopping for a backpack sprayer, there are a few things to look out for. Take a look below:
- Use: What will you use your backpack sprayer for? The type of plants you’ll need to spray for will dictate what kind of hoses and pumps you will need.
- Manual or motorized: Manual backpack sprayers are fine when dealing with small infestations, but if you have a lot of land to cover a motorized backpack sprayer will make your life a lot easier.
- Pump type: The two main types of pumps are the piston and the diaphragm pump. Piston pumps are cheaper but not suitable for all products. Diaphragm pumps are more expensive but tend to be more durable.
- Safety: Pay attention to features such as full sized handles and quality rubber seals to prevent leaks. You don’t want to be exposed to harmful herbicides!
- Comfort: Try on your backpack sprayer before you buy. It’s important that your sprayer fits you well in order to reduce fatigue.
Spray wand: Spray wands are prone to leaks, so choosing a quality spray wand is important.
- Durability: Certain herbicides can break down components of your backpack sprayer, so be sure to choose a backpack sprayer that can handle the herbicides you’ll be using.
Backpack sprayers can be expensive, but they are an investment for your home so make sure you choose a quality one!
Which one is your favorite backpack sprayer? Leave a comment and let us know!