If you’ve searched the internet for a great messenger bag, you know that good ones can cost a fortune!
If you don’t have a big budget, you may be left in somewhat of a pickle because your choices for stylish, well-constructed, and affordable bags are somewhat hard to find.
We have come up with some of the best messenger bags that cost under $50. Imagine that? For less than your electric bill, you can get the messenger bag that is perfect for you and will last a long time (and look good, too).
How we choose messenger bags for our lists
When we select our recommended bags, we look for items that have some combination of the following:
- a stylish and modern look;
- great construction and materials; and
- functionality for your specific needs.
Often, cheaper bags lack some of the above qualities. However, we believe that these six stand above the rest and will serve you well, even for under $50!
Let’s get to what you came here for – our picks for some of the best affordable messenger bags:
Our favorite messenger bags for under $50
Brinch Unisex Oxford Fabric Laptop Sleeve Messenger Bag
This great bag from Brinch has a more modern look than the other bags below, comes in a ton of different colors, and is dripping with functionality. The styling is casual, so this is more appropriate for someone going to school, rather than a professional workplace.
If you’re looking for a great messenger under $50, you can’t go wrong with this one!
- High quality fabric exterior with padded interior to protect your important stuff
- Available in four sizes to accommodate laptops up to 17.3″
- Show your style with seven different colors, from grey and brown to pink and purple
- Choose whether you want to use the shoulder strap or the comfortable handle
- Water resistant and scratch resistant, to keep your bag going strong for a long time
- Weak velcro on the front enclosure
For those looking for a casual-style messenger bag for school or work, look no further than this. The fabric exterior comes in many colors and the bag itself comes in multiple sizes, so you can get the one that reflects your overall look and what you plan to carry in it. We think that Brinch has a winner on their hands here!
Vaschy Casual Leather and Canvas Bag
First on our list is this great bag from Vaschy, a great manufacturer of shoulder bags for the “everyday traveler.” This messenger bag features dual materials (canvas and genuine cowhide leather), quality construction, and that usefulness that we look for in our recommended bags.
- Four stylish colors (blue, camel, and two shades of grey)
- Dual-material construction (genuine cowhide leather and canvas)
- Fits a 14′ laptop in the main padded slot
- Leather handle and shoulder strap
- Multiple interior pockets
- One year warranty
- Plenty of space for your computer, tablet, and daily carry items
- Shoulder strap is padded and comfortable
- Lots of pockets to keep you organized
- Sturdy hooks, zippers, and closures
- Some users report difficulty fitting certain laptops
- Occasional issues with the magnetic snap, though the manufacturer will replace the bag if there is a problem
Overall, this is an awesome bag with a great look, which will serve you well. Though the occasional user has reported issues with pieces falling off, the manufacturer’s warranty covers this and they will replace the bag. Generally, though, this bag is a high quality choice that you won’t regret.
Baigio Vintage Nubuck Leather Cross-body Satchel
Made of high quality leather, this professional-looking satchel-style bag from Baigio is a perfect choice for style on a budget. If you’re looking for a smaller bag that can hold a tablet and some other daily carry objects, you can’t go wrong with this sweet looking messenger bag.
- Comes in three shades of brown – classic, reddish-brown, and a “retro” brown color
- Multiple pockets to hold your stuff, from a cell phone pocket, main interior pocket for a tablet, and a back zipper pocket (to hide your wallet or other important things)
- Fits in with business or casual environments, also great for tourists and travelers
- Antique-style ornaments, magnetic buckle, and extra long zipper length for ease of use
- Some users report disappointment with the amount of stuff they can carry (which is natural, given its size), and the materials used on parts of the bag, like the pen holder
For those looking for a smaller bag for everyday carry or don’t need to carry a whole laptop with them, this satchel from Baigio is a stylish choice. The classic leather styling of it complements every outfit and looks amazing. Keep your tablet safe, while you carry your wallet, keys, and cellphone – even an umbrella.
This bag comes highly recommended.
Honorable Mentions – Great casual canvas bags for under $50!
The 3 bags above are top notch for this budget range (just check out the Amazon reviews for the Brinch, for instance), but I thought I’d give a few “honorable mention” bags.
These are still great, but they’re more of a smaller “cross body satchel” form factor. If that’s what you’re looking for, you can’t go wrong with these three.
Just choose the one that matches your style and click to read more user impressions and see the latest price.
Xincada Canvas Men’s Cross-body Bag
This Xincada canvas messenger bag is made from high-quality cotton canvas. It has a very broad shoulder strap that can be adjusted very easily and there are several compartments inside the bag that can store a variety of items.
Whether you decide to carry this messenger bag by the shoulder strap or the handle on the top of the bag, you should be able to do so very comfortably and easily.
- Material: pure cotton canvas
- Measures: 8.3” X 3.7” X 9.9”
- Weighs 1.2 lbs.
- 10 pockets in total
- Adjustable shoulder strap
- You can easily adjust the should strap based on how you want to carry the bag
- The bag is large enough to fit small tablets and electronic devices
- There are compartments of many different sizes to store different sized and types of items
- It is not waterproof
- The shoulder strap is not padded
At such an amazing price, there are many great features to this bag. One of the best features of it is the many compartments that are included. There is space to store just about everything that you would want to place in the bag.
Mygreen Canvas Cross Body Bag
Available in different colors and sizes, the Mygreen Canvas Cross-body messenger bag is definitely a steal when you compare its construction and features to the price. It is made of a very durable canvas material and it has a very fantastic lining on the inside. Although it is not waterproof, it offers a lot of protection for any item that you store inside.
- Materials: canvas and leather
- Dimensions: 10.6” X 14.1” X 4.3”
- Weighs 1.6 lbs.
- Able to fit up to a 13” laptop/tablet
- Padded and adjustable shoulder strap
- The top of the shoulder strap is padded for comfort while carrying
- The size of the bag is very ideal for carrying items on a daily basis
- You can adjust the wide shoulder straps easily for additional comfort
- You can wear it as a cross-body bag or as a single-strap bag
If we had to put a con in here, it’s that the bag is not waterproof, which can be a big bummer in the rain.
You don’t have to spend a fortune to get an amazing messenger bag and this bag is living proof of that. It has all the features that you would need in a messenger bag and more. Even though it is not waterproof, it is a fabulous way of carrying around your items.
Want to read more about it? Check out the Amazon product page here.
Ibagbar Small Canvas Shoulder Bag
You don’t have to purchase a messenger bag that is very large; this bag from iBagBar is a much smaller option that can still hold a lot of items. It can even hold tablets that are up to 10” in size. Plus, there are a ton of pockets on the interior and even on the outside that provides great storage space for smaller items.
- Adjustable shoulder strap
- Strong handle
- Velcro closure
- Measures: 10” X 11” X 5”
- 9 pockets in total
- Materials: PU leather and cotton canvas
- You can carry the bag by the shoulder strap or by the handle
- There are a lot of compartments in the bag for storing and organizing items
- It can fit a 10” tablet or notebook
- It has a very broad and adjustable shoulder strap
- The shoulder strap is not padded
- The bag isn’t waterproof
For such an amazing price, this messenger bag from iBagBar is a great deal.
Not only is it made of very good materials, it has a lot of features that are ideal for messenger bags that are much more expensive, such as the many compartments and dual method of carry. If you do not need a messenger bag to carry a large laptop, this one should be on your list of options.
So which one should you get?
These sixgreat messenger bags under $50 are perfect if you’re looking for style that fits within your budget.
If I had to choose, I’d go with the Brinch messenger bag, because I dig the minimalistic style and the wide variety of choices in color and size. At that price, you may want to buy two!
While you’re here, check out this great YouTube video for more advice about choosing and wearing a “Man bag”: