White dress shirts have been a staple in men’s closets since the dawn of time.
They are a timeless staple that goes with just about everything. Whether you’re planning on wearing it under a suit or out and about to the bar, a white dress shirt is sure to bring together almost any outfit.
Unfortunately, the white dress shirt suffers from a fatal flaw – all too often, they’re see-through.
Let’s solve this problem, shall we?
What’s the deal with see through white dress shirts?
So, you pop on a new white dress shirt and take a look in the mirror.
If you’re anything like me, you instantly notice that it’s nearly completely see-through.
This can be present a myriad of problems including:
- They take on the color of your skin: This is a problem because regardless of your skin tone, it will throw off the white of the shirt and can often make your white dress shirt look discolored.
- They show off your nipples: There are times when it’s okay to let your nips hang loose–at your company’s staff meeting is not one of them. Not only is it unprofessional, it can also be distracting for the people you come into contact with.
- They can make chest hair very obvious: I know, a bit of hair on the chest is something to be proud of, but it can also come off as unprofessional. This is a problem that varies from man to man, depending on how thick and dark your chest hair is, but should still be avoided when out and about.
When it comes to buying a dress shirt, you get what you pay for.
The most popular fabrics for dress shirts include:
- Poplin: Poplin is a light, breathable weave that is gentle on the skin and conveniently wrinkle-resistant.
- Oxford: Oxford is a basket-woven weave that has a slightly rough texture and is thicker than poplin.
- Pinpoint: Like Oxford, Pinpoint is a medium body weave but is woven with thinner threads for a smoother feel.
- Twill: Twill provides a thick weave that results in a heavier cloth.
Depending on the fabric of your dress shirt, it could be barely see-through or it could be like looking through a window (I know that feeling).
When it comes to choosing the best dress shirt, you have to take in several different factors:
For instance, if you want a shirt that isn’t as see-through, you’ll opt for a shirt woven with a thicker weave. However, if you live in a hot or humid climate, this could result in you becoming uncomfortably hot or sweaty, negating the benefit of choosing a thicker shirt.
That really just leaves you with the choice of a lighter and more breathable fabric, which has that see-through problem.
Luckily, there are a few ways to overcome this, no matter what your situation!
Here we go:
How to fix a see through white dress shirt – Undershirts
There are a few ways to fix the problem of a see-through white dress shirt. One popular way is by wearing an undershirt.
When it comes to choosing an undershirt for your dress shirt, there are a few things you should keep in mind.
A common concept among the general population is that white on white is the best way to fix a see-through undershirt.
However, this is not the case. White is the worst thing you can do.
This is because a white shirt underneath your white dress shirt will be extremely visible. I’m sure you’ve seen men out there like this.
Ideally, you should buy an undershirt that matches your skin tone as closely as possible. Although nude tones are hard to find and not always feasible, there is a neat way around this that you can do at home:
- Pick out an all cotton white undershirt
- Brew a pot of strong black tea
- Pour the tea into a bowl and set the shirt in it to soak for about 15 minutes
- Remove the shirt and give it a good rinse
- Now, you have a shirt that resembles a pale skin tone!
Now, there are some drawbacks to this method. Namely, that the undershirt will only match a small range of light colored skin tones.
However, it’s better than nothing.
If your skin tone is on the darker side, picking out a darker shirt, such as heather gray, is your best bet. The darker color makes it so that you don’t see the outline of the undershirt on your dress shirt, especially around your biceps and collar.
If you’re looking for a good undershirt, the Mr Davis Tailored Cut V Neck is a great option.
It’s a little more expensive than other T-shirts, but is well worth the money. The Mr Davis Tailored Cut V Neck pros include:
- Bamboo viscose that allows you to stay cool in the summer and warm in the winter
- Tone color helps it blend in under white shirts
- The deep V neck means you won’t see the undershirt even when your dress shirt is unbuttoned
- Comfort slim fit
- Effective at hiding nipples and chest hair
Now that you know what to DO when looking for an undershirt, let’s look at what you DON’T want…
If you decide to go for an undershirt, keep in mind that there a couple things you shouldn’t do:
- Don’t wear black or white undershirts: These colors will show up under a white dress shirt in sharp contrast compared to a more neutral color like heather grey or nude.
- Don’t wear sleeveless undershirts: Apart from being out of style, sleeveless undershirts also show up under white dress shirts more easily than shirts with sleeves. They also don’t do anything to help with sweat absorption.
- Don’t wear crew-neck undershirts: Crew neck undershirts tend to be visible under dress shirts if they aren’t buttoned all the way. If you plan on rocking a more casual look, V neck undershirts are the way to go.
Being see-through isn’t the only issue with white dress shirts (and any dress shirt, really). The other one is those big sweat stains!
Let’s take a look at what you can do about it!
How To Fix a See-Through White Dress Shirt Using Sweat Block
There’s not much worse than sweating through your see-through white dress shirt. It’s uncomfortable, it makes it that much easier to see through your shirt, and it’s just kind of gross.
Sweat Block comes in the form of an antiperspirant towelette that is guaranteed to control underarm sweat for up to 7 days, which is a pretty amazing value when you think about it.
Sweat Block is so strong that it’s often used to treat hyperhidrosis, a condition that involves excessive sweating for no reason.
In addition, it’s FDA verified, meaning you can use it safely and without worry.
I personally love Sweat Block. Especially in hotter climates, it helps to control those sweat stains that often crop up on your chest, back, and underarms.
Since I live in Thailand, it works perfectly for me. It’s really a game changer!
- 7 Day Perspirant Control
- Affordable Price
- Easy-to-use Towelette
- FDA Approved
- 30 Day Money Back Guarantee
Some users have reported that the antiperspirant is less effective after continuous use
If you’re not a fan of Sweat Block, the Thompson Tee Sweatproof Undershirt is a good alternative to help mitigate overactive sweat glands.
These undershirts are 100% guaranteed to stop armpit sweat marks and feature a waterproof layer underneath each arm.
- Tagless lay Flat Collar
- Made From Ultra Soft Rayon and 5% Spandex
- 100% Money Back Guarantee
- Waterproof Layer Under Each Arm
Higher price point than similar products
Now that you know how to overcome sweat stains on your nice new dress shirt, let’s examine how you can fix a see-through dress shirt without an undershirt.
How to fix a See-Through White Dress Shirt using nipple covers
While wearing an undershirt is the best way to fix a see-through white dress shirt, there are some fellas out there who prefer to go out with only one layer.
This is a problem, because even if you control your sweating using Sweat Block and have minimal chest hair, there is still often the issue of your nipples standing out.
Luckily, there are these awesome products on the product called nipple covers and they work exactly how they sound: they cover your nipples.
If you do a quick search on Amazon, you’ll find plenty of options to choose from. Personally, I prefer Nip Strips when it comes to nipple coverage.
Originally made for athletes, they are meant to stay on your skin for long periods of time and then come off with ease. In addition, they’re transparent, making them a discreet alternative to wearing an undershirt.
- Affordable Coverage
- Built To Withstand Heavy Perspiration
- Pain-Free Removal
- Transparent Design Helps Maintain Discretion
- 100% Money Back Guarantee
Some distance runners have reported them falling off around 10 km
The problem of the see-through white dress shirt has plagued mankind for years, but there are some pretty nifty ways to overcome this issue in a way that’s comfortable for you.
Whether you decide to buy a comfortable undershirt or to pair sweat block with a neat pair of Nip Slips, these options should help you look and feel comfortable, even in the hottest weather.
Have you used any of the products mentioned? Do you have a different way to combat see-through white dress shirts?
Leave a comment and let us know!